Fair Housing Futures
Please read the Essenital Information before applying.
Funded by the Nationwide Foundation and led by the FHF Partnership Board, Fair Housing Futures has been established to improve the experience of private renting for those with limited financial and social support in Greater Manchester. Our ambition is to help create a private rented sector (PRS) that provides decent and affordable homes for people in need.
For more information on Fair Housing Futures please visit www.shelter.org.uk/fairhousingfutures What is the focus of the fund
Delivered in partnership with the Community Foundation and Shelter, the primary focus of the fund is to test trail-blazing solutions to the issues that vulnerable people face whilst renting. As part of the project, we have conducted a research exercise of the PRS in Greater Manchester. This research has helped to identify the priorities for the Fair Housing Futures Test and Learn Grant Fund and develop the funding categories.
The FHF fund will support projects to:
- Improve communication between tenants, landlords and letting agents to enhance the renting journey.
- Empower tenants by raising awareness of existing rights, services, regulation and enforcement.
- Support landlords by improving their awareness of regulation and enforcement, and help them manage their experiences and expectations of being a landlord.
- Break the stigma of vulnerable tenants in the PRS, particularly those in receipts of benefits.
Projects should either be brand new initiatives or alternatively those that are proven to work and need further investment to be scaled up. Who we will fund -
The FHF fund is open to charitable organisations including registered UK charities, CIC’s (Limited by Guarantee), constituted community groups and co-operatives. In addition, Local Authorities (for non-statutory projects) are eligible to apply. Please contact the Community Foundation if you have any questions on eligibility.
Projects need to be based in Greater Manchester and should cover at least one of the ten boroughs (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan)
We would like to encourage innovation and collaboration. Partnerships and consortia are encouraged to apply. Lead partners must be an eligible entity but can partner with private organisations such as a Letting Agent. The lead partner should submit the bid and will manage the funds if successful. The grant cannot be used for profitable/private gain. Partnerships should be established before applying. How much is available:
We are inviting applications of between £10,000 and £100,000 per year for up to 3 years i.e.
- Projects of 12 months or less = can apply for grants of between £10,000 and £100,000
- Projects over 2 years = can apply for grants of between £20,000 and £200,000
What we will fund:
- Projects over 3 years = can apply for grants of between £30,000 and £300,000
- Core costs - budget for running and facility costs, office equipment, supplies, any travel and accommodation, printing etc.
- Staff costs - budget for staffing, including full-time staff, part-time staff, project delivery staff costs and other related expenses.
- Development and capacity building costs – budget to help build capacity and sustainability of organisation e.g. staff/volunteer training, external consultancy fees.
- Volunteer costs - budget for reimbursements of expenses, e.g. telephone calls, travel and meals.
- Activity costs - budget for resources to facilitate a project/activity that fall outside capital, volunteer or staffing costs, e.g. catering, insurance.
- Small-scale capital costs - budget for small-scale set up costs including one-off expenses for equipment or fixed assets that may have use or benefit beyond the life of the grant/one financial year, such as computer hardware. This can also include perishable capital, which are items that are required for the delivery of a project, such as paint, paintbrushes and gardening equipment.
The following cannot be supported via the fund:
- Building works and refurbishment costs will be considered where they are essential to the successful delivery of the project.
- Statutory responsibilities (Local Authorities can apply for projects outside of this).
- National organisations that cannot demonstrate local governance in Greater Manchester or a track record/partnership in the area.
- Private commercial organisations/ventures
- Purchase/maintenance of vehicles
- Activities that will have already taken place before we offer you a grant
- Politically connected or exclusively religious activities
- Projects for personal profit
- Organisations that are established solely for the benefit of animals or plants
Before applying: It's important that you download and read the criteria before submitting your application please click here to download the full criteria
- Debts and other liabilities
To complete your application, you will need to send include the documents listed below. Please attach your documents to your online application or email them to email@example.com
within 7 days of submitting the application. If relevant documents are not submitted your application will be withdrawn. Documents which need to be included with your application:
1. A copy of the applicants governing document such as a Constitution or Memorandum and Articles of Association.
2. A copy of the applicants latest annual accounts or income/expenditure document
3. A copy of a recent bank statement for your group
4. A list of the current Trustees/Directors/Management Committee
5. A copy of the applicants current Safeguarding Policy for Children and Young People and/or Vulnerable adults. All applicants must ensure they hold relevant policies and procedures in place to undertake activities, such as DBS checks, depending on proposed activity.
The closing date for applications is Monday 30th September 2019 at 5pm.
For further information please contact:
James Proctor, Senior Programmes Manager
Community Foundation for Lancashire and Merseyside
T: 0330 440 4900 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Roli Barker, Development Manager